Monday, January 17, 2011

Finally a Use for This Pot

I've received a pot, accompanied with a matching lid & a metal holder/handles thingy, for our wedding. It sits under our kitchen table on a little shelf made just for it (not likely as we got the table first). It is a gold/brown color thats hard to describe, doesnt match a thing, and I'm not sure it was made in this century. It never had a job, anything to do, or any real use to me. Until now.

Jason entertained a couple of our neighbors tonight who enjoyed beers out on the finished deck (photos of the deck to follow soon). Beers turned into an offer to stay for dinner since I'd made a tortilla soup that was ready, & as soups go, overfilling the pot (no, this is not where The Pot got its use, its a different pot).

As we ate, our neighbor, The Hawaiian as we call him, told a story about how his brother was in a co-op with his neighbors. They had a pot, it was large and never previously used, made of clay or was pottery-ish, I dont know. They came up with this idea between a few families that whoever had The Pot in their possession was in charge of making a meal large enough for their family and for another, that filled The Pot. They'd then let the family know ahead of time they were making a meal and then drop off The Pot full of whatever and be on their way. One family didnt have to cook that day. The Hawaiian said it wasnt ever planned too much, not every Saturday or anything, not even a weekly event. Just a random night. The family that dropped it off didnt stay and eat, it wasnt like that (and this is why Jason isnt sold on the idea! He thought it was a social thing, apparently the only reason for him to do anything).

So, what makes me jump so fast at dinner tonight to The Pot that I have, The Pot that I want to immediately begin passing back and forth with the Hawaiian family, is that the Hawaiian is a chef in the number three country club in the nation, in Vero Beach. A club so exclusive I doubt his own mother could eat there. Of course I want to eat something he makes in this pot! I own the pot, its in my house, so Jason & I are the first to try it out.

Ps. It is intimidating feeding The Hawaiian. When I asked him what his plans were for dinner, trying to upload some of my soup onto him since I'm not a fan of leftovers or wastage (& I'm nice, he looked hungry, and I wanted company for me and Jase for dinner), I know full well that he's had a better meal, that my foodnetwork.com recipe of Santa Fe Tortilla soup is somehow not up to his standards and missing something key, and that he could make it better. But I still have fed him on more than one occasion and he is always grateful and praises whatever it is. Even offers me nice tips that are helpful and not condescending in the least bit. He doesnt have a Gordon Ramsey bone in his body.

Pps. Some of you may know have put this together that this Hawaiian is the same guy who drops off the delicious bread in our mailbox on a weekly basis. We informed him tonight, after receiving at least 8 loaves of bread last fall/this winter, that when we get his bread, we dont cook for days. Its toast in the morning, bread and cheese for lunch, and brushcetta for dinners. I specifically go out the next morning and buy the best mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil and eat bruschetta like a crazy craving pregnant lady... I predict a loaf this very week. 

No comments: