Sunday, November 20, 2011

New Meal

Just made this delish dinner for my husband and me I'd like to call... Chevap' on Garlic Naan. The meat is my version of his family's famous chevapchichi, which I dont have privilages to the recipe so I made it up. I also dont make them into cute grilled meatballs because I like to cut corners. I could write more about the inspiration of my meal but I am even boring myself.




I usually [separately] mix the meat, bruschetta, and tzatziki throughout the day so that I'm not in the kitchen for too long at any one point in time. Then at meal time we just throw all of it together on warm naan bread and its quick and easy.


Ingredients for the Chevap':
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground turkey or chicken
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon of tube ginger (this is a key ingredient, found at Publix in the fresh fruit/veg cold section- in a tube like all good ingredients)
a few shakes of cumin, paprika, garlic salt, cayenne, and salt/pepper
4 green onions chopped
squeeze of fresh lemon

Sometimes I shape this mixture into patties and we grill them like burgers or tonight- a meatloaf! So easy... or you could grill baby meatballs. Also a good choice.

Toppings:
bruschetta (recipe below)
tzatziki (recipe below)
thick sliced cucumbers
Naan bread (we buy this one- its at Publix)

Grill the naan on a pan that is hot with some oil coating the bottom. Flip it; when it crisps the edges throw it on a plate. Layer tzatziki, Chivap', tzatziki, brushetta, cucumbers. OMG. Use one hand to contain the mess and provide the other hand with a spoon to shovel all the dropped tomatoes into your mouth. Its pretty tasty and not at all complicated like this blog post makes it out to be.

Bruschetta:
2 fresh tomatoes chopped in small 1/2 cubes
chopped sweet onion
basil and oregano (fresh from your mason jar herb garden!)
garlic salt, salt, and pepper
drizzle of red wine vinegar, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar
small drizzle of maple syrup. Yes, I promise.

Tzatziki:
1 cup of plain greek yogurt
1 cup of sour cream
1 large cucumber (peel, scrape the seeds out, and shave over a cheese grater onto paper towel, then squeeze all the excess water out....)
salt (lots of salt. Keep adding then tasting), pepper, garlic salt, DILL (a few sprigs or several shakes of the dried stuff)

This isnt a first date recipe, unless you define romance by how much food is dripping off your hands and face. And it isnt something you should eat with your rugrats hanging around; you wont want to put the "sandwich" down and chase a toddler. Or share with one and watch them sling the yummy-ness all over the floor.

No comments: